As holiday traditions are put on hold because of the pandemic, Vitalant offers another way for family members and friends to connect and commemorate the giving season: by donating blood, plasma and convalescent plasma.
- Blood donations decline during the winter months as people become busy with holiday activities, fewer healthy donors are available due to seasonal illness like the flu, and inclement winter weather can force blood drives to cancel.
- COVID-19 also continues to impact the blood supply. Right now, the need for donations is great as nearly 2,000 Vitalant blood drives have already been canceled during November and December, due to schools transitioning to virtual learning and businesses in work-from-home situations.
- As new coronavirus cases continue to surge in the U.S. and stay-at-home orders are returning in some areas, the need for blood goes on as patients still require emergency transfusions, undergo scheduled surgeries and receive routine transfusions.
- The U.S. Surgeon General and FEMA have declared blood, plasma and convalescent plasma donation as an essential and necessary activity during the pandemic.
- Hospitals are already challenged with rising COVID-19 cases. It is imperative the blood supply is stable and adequate inventories are on hospital shelves, ready when patients need it.
COVID-19 SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
We are taking extra precautions to protect our staff and donors.
· Temperature checks upon arrival
· 6 feet of space between donors
· Continuous sanitization
· Approved masks required for all donors and staff (one-way valve masks not allowed)
· To support social distancing, appointments are strongly encouraged
All Blood Donors Receive COVID-19 Antibody Testing!
We’re all in this together. Please step up and help save lives by giving blood, plasma or convalescent plasma. Schedule your appointment today!